Saturday, July 9, 2016

Day 7: Grand Canyon and WIldlife tour

No filter and all that disclaimer--- rainbow was real and not photoshopped in.  This is from an iphone, taken by someone who has no idea how to maximize its benefits.
If you're like me, when you heard "Grand Canyon," you may have thought that you were reading the LWOW 1 blog since we did that on the last trip when we were in Arizona.  Not so, dear reader!  There is a Grand Canyon of Yellowstone that has two main features:  one 30 foot waterfall and one 100+ foot waterfall that absolutely take your breath away.

(Prepare for some pictures that don't even come close to showing the majesty)

We did a hike down to Uncle Tom's Trail-- a steep descent and THEN you reach the final stage with over 300 steps to the lowest point that made your legs into jello before you even hit the half way point. That view though.......




And then you gotta hike back out!  (All the crying emojis)





We went to a few more overlooks from the South Rim (Artist Point is a good one!) then drove up the North Rim on our way back home.  We walked along a series of switch backs to get to the base of a trail that put you right ON TOP of the main fall.  I couldn't stand there very long because it just made you nervous.  (Yes there were fences, yes we were careful, etc etc etc).  :)

That evening we had our big Wildlife Excursion.  It was a 4 hour ride on a 1936 yellow touring vehicle that took us all over the park to spot animals.  We got to see two packs of wolves, 500+ bison, plenty of mule deer and prong horns and mountain goats and we even made it into Montana so we can cross that off our list.  I spent $5 on some popcorn, so it makes it an official stop in Montana. :)  
Travis was our tour guide and he had a telescope that let us see things we would've missed on our own

Lamar Valley is where you go to see ALL THE BISON.


Our biggest problem on this part of the trip has been the cold temperatures.  At night, it has gotten down into the low 30's and it has been brutal for sleep.  I can't move for all the layers I'm wearing and I'm STILL cold.  We have one more night to get through and it's going to take all the gumption I've got.  
teenagers!  wearing shorts and flip flops in 35 degrees like it's nothing.

Michael and Maggie:  friends for almost 25 years! They met at Vanderbilt in 1992; Maggie and I became good friends about 4 years ago when they came to Nashville for a reunion.  We laughed several times this week thinking about this idea:  5 years ago, if somebody had told me I would be camping for a few weeks in Yellowstone, with the Brandows from CA, I would never have believed you.  At the time, I did not camp (NEVER would I EVER!) and didn't have any relationship with the Brandows whatsoever and honestly didn't even know what Yellowstone was.   Ride the wave, people!  Life can take you a whole lot of places you never knew you needed to go with people who you didn't know you needed to know.  My life is richer because of these experiences.  I've had to learn to be a whole lot more flexible (and dirty! and sleep deprived!) than I ever was before, but it's been worthwhile.

I'm currently writing these last few updates in the laundry mat--We couldn't pack enough clothes to last the whole length of the trip, so here I am..... 

Moms:  Living the 'vacation' dream since the dawn of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment